What should you do when someone doesn’t understand your English on a conference call or in a business meeting?
Today we’ll give you four easy steps that you can take to explain your point without getting nervous or anxious.
Get a native English teacher online in seconds at italki.
Lindsay and Michelle recommend italki as our #1 English-learning solution online. Choose from more than 400 teachers to work on your business English or to pass your next big exam.
Get our special offer before it runs out! Go to italki and claim 10USD to go toward a FREE second English lesson at italki!
What to do when people don’t understand you:
- Step 1: Notice if you are feeling anxious. What is happening in your body?
- Step 2: Go back to your breath- try to feel your feet on the floor. Feel your breath going in and out. Take just a few seconds to do this.
- Step 3: Try to remember the main point that you wanted to communicate. What was the essential message? What do people have to understand? Do they need to take some action? Summarize this point in your own head first.
- Step 4: Now say the main point in a different way. Use these phrases to get started:
- “What I meant to say was…”
- “What I mean is…”
- “The main point that I am trying to get across is…”
What other phrases do you know to get your point across?
Let us know in the comments!